Sharon, which is located on Highway 49 between York and Bullocks Creek, was established in 1889 and named after Sharon Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. History is on display in this town, where many buildings that were vital to the town’s former cotton-based economy still stand, including the Sharon Potato House, Rainey’s Gin and Office and Hill’s Gin and Warehouse.
Sharon’s main street is lined with buildings that are on the National Register of Historic Buildings, including the Hill Building, which was built in 1913 and housed Hill Mercantile and Planters Bank. The nearby Rainey House, which was restyled in 1906, was once home to one of Sharon’s early commercial lenders.
For more history on some of our quaintest towns, check out our friends at Visit York County.